Saturday, February 5, 2011

Homemade Gummy Bears (or what ever shape you want)

IMG_6278

I LOVE gummy bears. I think I might be addicted to them. My mother in-law gave me a 6 pound bag of them for Christmas and they were gone weeks ago. I did share ( a little bit). The only way I can choke down vitamins is if I buy them in gummy bear form. And then I really have to use will power not to eat the whole jar and die of vitamin toxicity.

Did you know that you can buy a 5 Lb. gummy bear that is 9 inches tall? I want it.

Did you know that gummy bears were originally named Dancing Bears?

Did you know that you can also make home made gummy bears!!!

Well, now you know. And I am going to teach you how:

Ingredients:

  • 1 box (3 oz.) of Jello, any flavor (I did apricot)
  • 2 (1/4 oz.) packets of unflavored gelatin
  • 1/3 C. water
  • candy molds

Directions:

1. Put water into a small pot. Sprinkle Jello and gelatin over the top. Let sit for about 5 minutes.

2. Turn the heat on to medium and stir until it becomes liquid and the gelatin dissolves.

3. Let cool for 1 minute and pour into molds. If you need to, transfer into a more pourable container first.

4. Let cool for about 20 minutes, or cool in the freezer for about 5 minutes.

5. I have heard that it is good to sprinkle the backs with powdered sugar or corn starch to prevent from sticking to the plate or together, but I didn’t feel like it was necessary. Mine did not stick together.

6. Peel from the molds and enjoy!

Make all kinds of flavors and colors and shapes. Let your kids help make them.

IDEAS FOR MOLDS:

  • Silicone ice cube trays (you can buy all kinds of shapes)

IMG_6272

  • The the guts of one of those chincy Christmas advent calendars

image

This is what the inside looks like. I just happened to have an old advent calendar hanging around.

IMG_6275

 

image

Recipe from Skip to my Lou

4 comments:

aunt choody said...

Super cute.

Gran Linda said...

You have started a wonderful blog with some great ideas. Next time you are up come take pictures of our cousin camp "Quest Map". And I will make a list of other ideas we have done with the kids.

jess and seth said...

These are so darling! MY kids are already begging me to make them.

Emily's Tips on Parenting said...

hi amy its peachy these are so cute i love you